Could you eat 10 portions of fruit and veg per day?
Never mind eating the recommended 5 a day, it’s now been reported that we should be putting away a whopping 10 portions of fruit and vegetables if we want to live longer! Researchers at Imperial College London said that eating like this could prevent 7.8 million premature deaths a year and also identified specific fruit and veg that reduced the risk of cancer and heart disease. One portion counts as 80g of fruit or veg.
Lower risks of cancer were linked to eating green, yellow and cruciferous vegetables, while lower risks of heart disease and strokes were linked to eating:
- citrus fruits
- green leafy vegetables (eg lettuce)
- cruciferous veg
Read the full story on the BBC News Website
So could YOU fit that amount of fruit and veg into your daily diet? How many do you tend to eat? We’d love to hear what you think about this story!
In the meantime, if you fancy giving it a whirl I thought I’d round-up 10 fruit and veg-tastic recipes from the Froothie Ambassadors that’ll get you well on your way!
Bring on the veggies
1. Green Immunity Soup from Fig & Bloom is packed with spinach, onion, garlic, leek, peas and topped with mushrooms. Get the recipe
2. Roasted Vegetable Lasagne from How To Cook Good Food is positively bustling with veggies… even the bechemal sauce is green with spinach! Get the recipe
3. Spiralised Courgette with Pea & Mint Sauce from Veggie Desserts is a Spring feast on a plate! Get the recipe
4. Veggie Zinger Juice from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary is a really effortless way to take in some nutrients. Get the recipe
5. Pappardelle with Cavolo Nero & Walnut Sauce from The Veg Space sounds like the tastiest way to enjoy cabbage! Get the recipe
6. Summer Berry Vegan Cheesecake from Franglais Kitchen looks sophisticated enough for a dinner party. Get the recipe
7. Instant Kiwi Coconut Sorbet from Natural Kitchen Adventures is a lightning quick dessert idea, and sounds TOO GOOD! Get the recipe
8. Blueberry, Peach and Apple Smoothie Bowl from Simply Sensational Food looks like a cracking way to kickstart the day. Get the recipe
9. Very Berry Fruit Leather from CakeyBoi makes for a wonderful fruity snack. Get the recipe
10. Chocolate Coconut Mango Mousse Ice Lollies from Farmers Girl Kitchen are rather indulgent, but have an awful lot of mango in them too! Get the recipe
Don’t panic if you can’t scoff your way through 10 portions of fruit and veg, the World Health Organisation are still recommending five portions per day for maintaining a healthy diet. Get more info and practical advice here.
Katie Bryson is a Freelance Food Writer who blogs at Feeding Boys where she shares recipes and tips for families with big appetites and vegetarian tendencies.